Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Worship

"The Lord has appeared of old to me, saying: 'Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn you.'" (Jeremiah 31:3)

If you think worship is a one way street, you're on the wrong street.  Our text more than equals any "act" of worship, any words of praise, singing, hand raising, dancing, whatever your definition of worship may be.  The Words of our text are glorious Love-Words to the Triune God's Covenant People.

Yes, our "engagement" in worship is really fellowship.  This is what our Lord Jesus Christ desires for us.  This was the reason for the thousands upon thousands of sacrifices in the Old Testament, which all were pointing to the Cross of Jesus.  Fellowship had been broken in the rebellion of the Garden.  Then, when Jesus cried, "It is finished," on the Cross and the, "veil of the Temple was rent in two," the very "doorway" into the, "Holiest of All," was open to us.  The rest of the Bible, yes, right up to the end, and "throughout" the unspoken Eternal Fellowship in the Godhead in Eternity, all reveals just what our Lord Jesus Christ desires for us: Fellowship-Partnership in the Blessed Trinity.

Worship is not just you and I saying and demonstrating our praise and love to Father, Son Jesus, and Holy Spirit.  No!  "'For I know the thoughts that I think toward you,' says the Lord, 'thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.'"
And what about, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."  These Words are the other "end" of the "worship spectrum."

Father, in Jesus' Name, what You say to me, what You do for me has no comparison in anything I may say or do.  Amen.

Blog Archive