Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

What Is Our Lord Jesus "Writing" To Your Church?

"And to the...Church in_______write:_______"  (The Book of Revelation)

Well, "The Great Evangelical Recession" really hit home today when I learned that after 130 years, Park Avenue United Methodist Church, formerly Park Avenue Evangelical United Brethren, formerly Park Ave. United Brethren in Christ will be closing in June of 2020.  My Dad was the pastor from June of 1956 to June of 1964.  It is the Church I was a part of from my eighth grade through 12th grade years of high school, and two years of college.  O, yes; and I also found out that after 148 years, Trinity UM, formerly Trinity EUB, formerly Trinity Evangelical Association, the Church in whose building I was licensed to preach in May of 1964, also closed in June of last year.

This is the Church in America; this is the Church in Europe.  Now don't anyone get all spiritual on me and tell me, "Well, those are denominational churches; they were probably dead anyway."  Really?  And how much has your local church grown in the last 130 years?  Oh, wait!  It's not 130 years old, probably not even 50, and probably not even....  The proud who call themselves "Christian" had better face the reality: The Church in America is losing the battle.  We have lost several generations, and most likely will lose ensuing ones, unless....  The epicenter of the Church of Jesus Christ has shifted from "the white man's church" to the African and Asian "church." 

I am determined, only by the grace and mercy of Jesus, to continue pressing on "in the fight."  Jesus, "The Word of God," declared this Eternal Truth:  "I will build My Church," and that Church is and always has been the Glorious Church, the Overcoming Church.  It is not a one generational church, or a 148 year old church.  It is the "2ooo year" Church, rooted and founded in, "Thy Kingdom is a Kingdom of all ages, and Your Dominion endures THROUGHOUT ALL GENERATIONS."  It is time for The Church of Jesus Christ to storm those, "gates of Hell," which Jesus tells us, "....will not prevail," or, "not be victorious."

Are you "on board?" 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I grieve for the state of the American and European Church.  "Thy Kingdom comeThy will be done in earth as it is in Heaven."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive