Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Some Thoughts on The Song of Solomon

"Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth-- for your love is better than wine....Behold, you are fair, my love!...You have dove's eyes....Behold, you are handsome, my beloved!...Yes, he is altogether lovelyThis is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem!"  (From Song of Solomon)

Now I know that most have heard and read that the Song of Solomon is a type of Christ and the Church; it may very well be.  Some of the statements in this Book are great descriptions of our Lord Jesus Christ; it is indeed a great "love story."

One thing about this Book to realize, however, is that Solomon had hundreds and hundreds of wives.  1 Kings 11:1a and 3 tells us, "But King Solomon loved many foreign women, as well as the daughter of Pharaoh....And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart."  There is much speculation as to which of all of these wives is the "beloved" of The Song of Solomon.   

I know, as well, that there are debates on the timeline of his writings, viz., Proverbs, Song, and Ecclesiastes, but if The Song is the first, it would explain so much of Proverbs as well as Ecclesiastes.

I come now to a possibility.  What if, among the traditional interpretations, the Song of Solomon is our Lord Jesus Christ saying to humanity, "Love and romance are okay; just keep everything where I intended?  'Follow Me.'"

Father, in Jesus' Name, I see Your "Instructing" Hand in this.  Amen.
**************************
Even though the shoulder has been keeping me from some of my travels, I am still committed to much prayer daily for the nations.  Last night's Democratic Presidential Debate revealed to me that some of my prayers are really being answered!

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive