Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, July 8, 2019

Provision In The Presence

"So it was always: the cloud covered it by day, and the appearance of fire by nightWhenever the cloud was taken up from above the tabernacle after that the children of Israel would journey; and in the place where the cloud settled, there the children of Israel would pitch their tents At the command of the Lord...."  (Numbers 9:16-18a)
 
I first read this passage 49 years ago.  It spoke (and still does) to me about following, submitting t0 Jesus Christ, timing, direction, location, everything.  Little did I know then that much of the succeeding years would be a "fulfillment" of our text.

Some don't believe that this is how our Lord Jesus works any more.  I do.  We all have heard of the types and foreshadows of, "the cloud," and, "fire."  For me, they represent Jesus' Presence in the life of His Church and each Follower.  "The cloud," along with guidance, provided protection.  The, "fire," gave them light at night.  I'm sure you and the Bible commentators could add much more.

I come back to seeing what I call, Provision in the Presence of Father, Son Jesus, and Holy Spirit.  Direction, yes, but I also see in today's text what the hymn saw so long ago.
        "Beneath the Cross of Jesus I fain would take my stand,
        The shadow of a might rock within a weary land;
        A home within the wilderness, a rest upon the way,
        From the burning of the noontide heat, and the burden of the day.

        "I take, O Cross, thy shadow for my abiding place;
        I ask no other sunshine than the sunshine of His Face;
        Content to let the world go by, to know no gain nor loss,
        My sinful self my only shame, my glory all the Cross."

Father, in Jesus' Name, You have made my pilgrimage beautiful.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive