Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, June 13, 2019

"What Would You Have Said?

"From that time many of His disciples went back ('went away') and walked with Him no more."  (John 6:66--- Hmm: Interesting Scripture reference)

The phrase, "went back," is literally, "went to the back."  Whatever we take from this, the context is a teaching of Jesus which just went beyond what, "....many of His disciples..," could "handle."  

A mother some days ago asked her child to ask me what the child had asked her.  "Tell me about the Baby Jesus."  I wasn't going to get out the Four Spiritual Laws, or whatever.  So I probed a little and said something like, "Well he was born, grew up.  He went around healing people, and died on a cross and rose from the dead."  The mother's response was interesting, "That raises more questions."  I'm sure it did.

What bothered me most, however, is the fact that I thought I had to come up with some detailed discourse to explain Jesus to this little child: thank Him I didn't.  I think there have been times in my serving Jesus when I thought I had to add more "explanation" so that people could have a fuller grasp of "the Gospel."  Our text reveals something about humanity.  There are some questions which just have no satisfying answer, to anyone. Maybe what we need to do in sharing Jesus with others is:  Keep it short. 

What would you have said to that little child?

Father, in Jesus' Name, help me to tell people about You better.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive