Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

What Jesus Will "Never Permit"

"Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved."  (Psalm 55:22)

The Interlinear tells us, "Cast your lot, what is given to you, on the Lord, and He shall hold you, provide for you; He shall never permit the righteous to be shaken, moved, or brought down." 

It was late in the evening of June 11, 1970 when Stephen took a "turn for the worse."  By 09:00, June 12, he was gone from us.  Did I pray that Stephen would be healed?  Did I have hopes for him to grow to manhood and be a man today with whom we would celebrate his 54th birthday on July 10, 2019?-- of course.  But none of that happened.  I was, and I can say that I am still devastated by what happen those oh so many years ago.  Yet, by Jesus' grace, mercy, and power, I was not "[brought] down," nor did I, "give way." 

Rather, I stand and am still following Jesus because of the powerful truth of our text.  And, I can say that I will only continue in life as I walk in the powerful, life-sustaining truth of, "Cast your burden on the Lord," Jesus Christ.  Notice that it is Jesus who, "shall never permit the righteous to be moved/shaken"; I cannot do that.  Apart from Jesus Christ I have absolutely no power at all to prevent the "earthquakes" of life and their subsequent, "shaken," destruction.

So, I encourage you today with what David learned so many centuries ago, "Cast your burden on the Lord [Jesus Christ] and He shall sustain you; [Jesus] shall never permit the righteous to be moved/shaken."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I can never adequately thank You for this.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive