Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

So You Want "Understanding"?

"I understand more than the elders ('ancients') because I obey Your precepts."  (Psalm 119:100, HCSB)

Try this:  "I understand...because I obey...." 

Now the natural mind might argue with this.  It would say that we need "book larnin," degrees, or just think that some people are smarter than others, so we might as well accept it.  No.  Jesus Christ Himself, "The Word of God," tells us that, "I understand...because I obey Your precepts," viz., "Word."

We once counseled a woman who was more interested in telling us her problems than getting an answer.  When a brief moment appeared which indicated she really did want some relief from her life maladies, I said to her, "I would like you to read 5 Psalms and 1 Proverb a day for the next month.  Then, let's get together again."  Only a camera would explain her reaction.  Too many people seeking "help" in life get speculation, shrouded, religious psycho analysis.  But I once did a marriage seminar and took the class through 1 Peter.  A couple later said that when I announce our "study book," they thought, "What does that have to do with marriage."  They confessed to getting great help for their marriage; go figure.    

One simply cannot, "obey," what one does not know.  I have said and written many times that I have very little "understanding" of the Universe, life in Jesus Christ, His Church, His Kingdom.  Whatever "understanding" I do have is in the, "God-Breathed," Words.  The Word translated, "understand," in our text is from a Hebrew Word which means, "to discern."  O, so wait a moment!  Most people think that discernment is some deep looking stare, someone's ability to "read" a situation or some one.  Again, not so.  Divine understanding comes from Jesus' Words.  Read on; obey on.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You are continually exposing religious myths.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive