Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, April 8, 2019

How "Alert" Are You?

"Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving...."  (Colossians 4:2)

The Word translated, "vigilant," means, "to be awake, watch, on the alert."

This is not just for "intercessors."  This is for all who Follow Jesus Christ.  Our Enemy never sleeps, never gives up, is always looking for a way to destroy.  Prayer is communion with/in the Living Triune God, fellowship/participation in the Godhead.  Our text tells us that prayer is also protection. 

Our text tells us, "to be awake, on the alert."  This tells me that there is a "warfare" aspect to prayer, and without, "Continue earnestly in prayer," I just cannot win life's "battles."  Every mistake we make, every "wrong" path we take comes from neglecting the kind of prayer in our text, "awake, watch, on the alert."

Now, as with so many Biblical texts and Principles, I do not claim full knowledge.  I can say, however, that our Lord Jesus is telling me of the "keeping power" in prayer.  And such praying should be, "with thanksgiving."  Perhaps it is a call to thank Him for the "effect" of keeping, "awake, watch, on alert."  VICTORY.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray for continual unfolding of praying, "awake, watch, on alert."  Amen.
*****************************
Please pray today's text for me as I am in Washington, DC tomorrow.  I pray this for you.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive