Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

How The Bible Defines "Love"

"Thus God loved the world...." (John 3:16a, Interlinear Greek)

This is John 3 Gospel reading day for the quarter; therefore, a repeat is in order.  A good way to interpret the Word interpret, "so," as in the modern versions' of John 3:16, "For God so loved the world..," is found in Romans 5:8, "But God demonstrates His Own love toward us, in that while were yet sinners, Christ died for us."  And so we have the best way to translate John 3:16, "Thus," or, "This is how God loved the world: He gave...." 

I know I have written and said this many times over the years, but you and I know that "love" is such a feelly, gushy word for most, that for the majority of mankind it has become a cheap utterance; but not so Jesus.  We cannot speak of God's love in degrees, e.g., "so."  God's love is demonstrative, not just talk, or just hugs, and "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing."  God's love for humanity is demonstrated in Jesus, not in His shouts from some glorious mountain top, "I love you."  It is found in, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore, with loving kindness I have drawn you," and, "'Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean'....Then [Jesus] put out His hand and touched him, saying, 'I am willing; be cleansed.'" 

You know, it might be good sometimes to respond to, "I love you," with, "Well, what have you done about it lately?"  I know I'm on thin ice here, so I'll just close.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray my love always be, "....demonstrates...love...."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive