Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, January 11, 2019

A Prayer Book For You and Me

"Why do you boast in evil, O mighty manThe goodness of God endures continuallyYour tongue devises destruction.., like a sharp razor, working deceitfully....But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever."  (Psalm 52)

The Psalms are not for Bible studies and sermons.  They are for you and me, right here, right there, house, office, vehicle, wherever that may be, in whatever we go through.  

I read Psalms 51-55 this morning.  I have pointed out before that David prayed/sang some of these Psalms while there were those who were pursuing him.  In the case of today's text, someone was out to kill him!  If you want to know the "correct" way to pray when people and life are against you, pray the Psalms.  Of course, we don't pray in the spirit of "go get 'em."  We pray that in Jesus' deliverance from our enemies, the enemies themselves will come to know Jesus, "Whom to know is life Eternal."  The phrase, "Then they shall know that I am the Lord," appears over 25 times just in the Book of Ezekiel.  This is the objective of the Godhead for humanity.  It must also be ours.

If you want to take a lesson from yourself as to "how to pray," pray the way you pray when you are alone, not in the "prayer meeting."  Now I am not saying that we cannot pray "sincere" prayers with others, yet you know as well as I do that there is a desperation, a I-don't-have-to-word-this-just-so about our praying when alone.  As an example, I find myself using the word "please" more when I'm alone.  Perhaps it shows a weak, dependent desperation, a helplessness which other "powerful prayers" do not.

Hey, you, "green olive tree in the House of God," pray "your heart out" today!

Father, in Jesus' Name, please let this sink in for my friend and me.  Amen.
*****************************
If you want to see the judgment on the Democrat Party, go to:
jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive