Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, August 16, 2018

"Your Promises Are Backed By...."

"Your promises are backed (supported) by all the honor of Your Name....The Lord will work out His plans for my life, for Your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever..."  (Psalm 138:2b & 8ab, NLT)

The Hebrew and Greek linguists may find some translations, which are more paraphrases than translations, less-than-perfect renderings of Biblical texts.  Yet I consider some are good teaching and preaching-type renditions.  Today's text is a case in point.  I received the same kind of "blessing" which I receive when a teacher/preacher "nails it."

What more does humanity need?!?  "The honor of [Jesus'] Name," is indeed the "backing" of the Living Triune God's promises.  Sort of puts a punch in the phrase, "got your back," doesn't it?  I thought as I read our text this morning that if I ever have some "reservation" with some of the "outlandish" promises of Scripture, I need to remember that they, "are (ALL) backed by all the honor of Your [Jesus'] Name."  I would encourage you to think/meditate/pray on this further.

Then we read, "The Lord will work out His plans for my life...."  Only Jesus can do this.  Bible promises and the Blessed Trinity's, "plans for my life," are, "backed," and, "work[ed] out," by the Living Triune God Himself.  Any other attempts to, "back[]," viz.,  prove, or, "work out," such are just plain futile.

Father, in Jesus' Name, what a sobering reality that, "Your promises are backed by all the honor of Your Name," the name of Jesus.  Amen.
******************************
Still waiting the announcement of the Kavanaugh Hearings.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive