Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, August 13, 2018

"They Kept...Slapping Him In The Face"

"Then they kept coming up to Him, saying, 'Hail, king of the Jews! and slapping Him in the face." (John 19:3, Mounce-Interlinear)

What kind of God does this?!?

The scene must have seemed surreal to Jesus' Followers.  They had come to some, at least, understanding as to Who He Was/Is, "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God," Peter had once blurted out. 

Jesus was doing this for you and me, you know.  "Only His Great Eternal Love made my Savior go," the song says.  The "game of kings," as the Roman practice was called, went on for hours.  We don't know exactly how long our Lord Jesus stood there, taking blow after blow, but it definitely was longer than it takes to read the Gospel accounts of His Trial and Crucifixion--------- for me and you, think of it.

Now, humanity can know forgiveness of sin, reconciliation with the Living Triune God, have fulfillment of Jesus' wonderful promise, "In My Father's house there are many dwelling places; if that were not the case, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?"  Think for a moment with me.  What our Lord Jesus Christ called, "Eternal habitations," is what is awaiting you and me.  You and I need not despair, "as others do who have no hope."  Simply stated, Jesus died so that you and I need not, "Whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die." 

We can "sing and shout the victory," because our Lord Jesus Christ endured, "....kept coming up to Him...and slapping Him in the face."  Then the, "Behold, the Man!"  Then the crowd's, "We have no king but CaesarThen Pilate handed Him over to...be crucified."  And finally there were those glorious, conquering Words, "It is accomplished!"  The rest of this day should be okay with us.

Father, in Jesus' Name, Thank You.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive