Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

"The Outer Fringe Of His Works"

"He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darknessThe pillars of the heavens quake, aghast at His rebuke....And these are but the outer fringe of His works; how faint the whisper we hear of HimWho then can understand the thunder of His power?" (Job 26, NIV)

This is Job.  Maybe such observance of life was some of what the Blessed Trinity saw in him when He commended Job before his friends, "I am angry with you.., because you have not spoken the truth about Me, as My servant Job has."  Job's, "truth about Me," may for some not be enough "understanding."  For me, however, it is a powerful realization of just how great is our Father, Son Jesus, Holy Spirit, "King of kings, and Lord of lords."

There are a lot of people who ask throughout their lives, especially in times of pain and suffering, "Why?"  Job's response in our text is an observation of Jesus' Reign over the Universe.  No matter how "spiritual" one may seem, "the outer fringe of His works," is all that they/you/I can "understand."  And the phrase, "how faint the whisper we hear of Him!", is a reality which too many Believers don't want to acknowledge.  They think that because they are "New Testament believers" they can know everything.  I am content with today's text.

I advise us all to be now, in these days, as Wesley says of, "that day," when "we cast our crowns before Thee, lost in wonder, love, and praise."  I'd rather be "lost" here than "found" in my own understanding.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I do thank You for, "the whisper we hear of [You]."  Amen.
************************
There are going to be demonstrations, confrontations in Washington, DC, during the Kavanaugh hearings.  Pray that I reflect Jesus. 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive