Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

'You Play It Your Way"

"Jesus said to him, 'If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you You follow Me.'"  (John 21:22)

So many people's lives are full of constantly quoting others, the latest "catch phrases," cliches.  They are too worried about "John."

"You follow Me," not the latest hero, charismatic personality.  Many are constantly quoting the phrases and even Scriptures which admired people frequent.  For me, part of, "You follow Me," means that you and I have testimonies people need to hear.  Of course, this does not negate the testimonies, even "revelations" of others. You and I, however, have received "words" from the Scriptures, written in our hearts and minds, some "forged" in great trial.  One thing our text says to me is that just as there are four Gospels, and not one big Gospel, there are "four" testimonies which the world around us needs.  Repeating the phrases of others constantly negates, "You follow Me."

I was attending a Jazz Concert at the old Civic Arena back in 1970.  During one band's gig, the bassist had a solo.  While he was playing, the band conductor started to direct.  A guy from the audience shouted, "You play it your way."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I so thank You that you daily, as Psalm 119 says, "unfold[]" Your Words to me.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive