Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

An Increasing Great Concern

"For I will work a work in your days which you would not believe, though it were told you."  (Habakkuk 1:5)

You may be interpreting this verse already and may not want to read on.

This passage is quoted often.   Every time I ever heard anybody refer to it, however, it was always in the vein of "great blessings" which you could not imagine.  I read today of an American "televangelist" who asked supporters to help him pay for a $54, 000, 000 private jet.  This is not the kind of, "work," which this phrase says in context.  Here is the context: "Look among the nations and watch-- be utterly astounded!...For indeed I am raising up the Chaldeans,..to possess dwelling places that are not theirs."  Of course, this will not build mega ministries.

One of the other days' reading also talked about women in the Church.  It, like so many passages of Scripture, is not practiced in modern Christendom.  I have heard so many "explanations" over the years which attempt to give reasons Paul wrote such things.  One of them states that they are no longer applicable in light of "paradigm shifts."  People, such as Jimmy Carter, for instance, claim to be, "born again," yet vilify Israel, approve of the murder of the unborn, applaud homosexual "churches," denominations ordaining lesbian bishops, etc.  And this is not just in the so-called "liberal" denominations.  "Updating" Scripture is a phenomenon of every "branch" of Christendom.

Now what?  I am not advocating or arguing any "position" here today.  I am simply making the case that while there is so much talk of, "Get into the Word," or, "I love the Word," or, "The Bible is our guideline," it is a lot of code talk for making the Bible fit today's global cultures and the desires of the human race.  I am reexamining my own life and what I actually practice, for example, concerning the Sermon on the Mount.  I encourage you to join me.  Just start with the Gospels and read carefully, asking ourselves, "Is there anything in my life style which does not align with Your Words/Commands, Lord Jesus?"

Our Lord Jesus Christ brings us into, "the Household of Faith," and His Eternal Kingdom in His precious Blood.  His Words, through the Holy Spirit, keep His "Family" from, "the power of darkness."  If confessing Christians will continue to bastardize His Words, they will be doing as Jonah says, "forfeit the grace that could be theirs."  I know that you agree with me.  We need all the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I do not want to be a religious fanatic.  I do desire, however, to walk in You and You in me, according to Your Words.  I pray for mercy and grace to do so.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive