Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, January 15, 2018

"Your Tradition" Or "Command of God"

"Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?"  (Matthew 15:3)

I think we all have, "your tradition".  What place we give, "your tradition," will determine who guides and leads us, in short, our life style.

It is easy to see the contrast, or perhaps contradiction, between our traditions and, "the command of God," (NIV), that is, if we really want to.  Finney said that the number one hindrance to revival was selfishness.  Try to argue with him.  That is how I would define the people who allow, "your tradition," to rule rather than, "the command of  God."  There have been many throughout Church History who participated in, "teaching as doctrines the commandments of men."  These, "doctrines...of men," will leave the follower worn out, discouraged, disillusioned. 

Traditions come from reading the Bible with looking-for-what-I-prefer glasses.  People get an "idea," or something they want to promote, go to the Bible and look and look until they find a passage which seems to back them up.  The main problem here, however, is the motive.  Start with a wrong motive, and you will end with, well, WRONG. 

I also would greatly discourage going to the Bible looking for answers, etc.  I would greatly encourage, on the other hand, going to the Bible and looking for the Godhead, His Purposes, His Will, His Everything.  Maybe we could pray something like, Lord Jesus, I prefer what You have for me rather than what I think I want for myself.  I come to Your, "God-Breathed," Words for You to speak.  Amen.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I want You, not me.  Amen.
*******************
* DC: January 17
* Preaching in the CCE meeting, January 21
* FHMP Briefing at the Lamplighter in Delmont, January 27.  Need reservation.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive