Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, December 8, 2017

"Out Of The Heart Proceeds...."

"The law of his God is in his heart....Your law is within my heart."  (Psalm 37:31a; 40:8b)

Yesterday I wrote of what some see others do not, or what some do not see others do.  Could it have something to do with "heart."  People say, "He really has heart."  What are we saying in that?  Perhaps we are speaking of what the person really is, even though it may be difficult to "put our finger on it," something which we cannot describe, but nonetheless see.

The great and fundamental promise of the Bible, both Old Testament and New, which includes the Gospels, is found in Jeremiah and recounted in Hebrews, "I will put My law in their minds and write it in their hearts...."  This is the only way that you and I can live a victorious life.  Jesus said that it was, "out of the heart proceeds," what we are really.  Too many appraise people based on what they literally see.  Jesus rebuked this life style, the hypocrite, who lives the life of the visible, that which is easy to see, perceive.  It is the stuff of quick and ill advised judgments of others, "good" or "bad."

Psalm 37:31 says that the righteous person has, "The law of his God...in his heart."  If Jesus' Law/Word is not in my heart, it is not "in" me.  And I think we can paraphrase Psalm 40:8, "I delight to do Your will, O my God, [because] Your Law is within my heart."  No matter what we say, what we do, eventually what is in our heart will manifest who we are.  Too many are attempting to control their behavior.  Maybe we should make a greater effort to "control" our hearts.

Father, in Jesus' Name, all I can do at this moment is to declare and ask this to be in my heart:  "I delight to do Your will...because Your Law/Word is within my heart."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive