Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, October 2, 2017

What Are You, "Treasur[ing] Up," Today?

"My son, if you receive My Words and treasure up my commandments with you..., then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of GodFor the Lord gives wisdom; from His Mouth come knowledge and understanding...."  (Proverbs 2, ESV)

I, "treasure up..," the, "Words of God," not because I'm religious, "spiritual," or some super saint.  I, "....treasure up..," His Words because I know just how much my life, my survival depends upon Them/Him.  Notice that, "....the fear of the Lord and...the knowledge of God," and, "....wisdom..., knowledge and understanding...," all are rooted in, "My Commandments," aka, "The Words of God." (Some leave here because they think they know what I am going to further write.)

If you read the Bible because you have to, you have never realized just how utterly dependent you are upon the, "power of God."  If you read the Bible to get sermons, teachings, devotionals or to fulfill someone's description of a "quiet time," again, you cannot know, "....Christ the power of God," no matter what other "spiritual" endeavor you partake of.

47 years ago, our Lord Jesus literally, "....drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog...."  Yet, even this morning I know that I am on the edge of, "....the pit of destruction..," and, "....the miry bog...," any time I would rest in my own power, strength, determination, self-will, independence, any "spiritual" exercise apart from, "The Words of God."  Life is not a one-time decision.  Life is a series of moment by moment decisions.  The, "....lion...going about..," takes no days off.  Please never think for a moment that anything you or I do can ever accomplish any overcoming power if we do not take heed to, "treasure up My Commandments." 

"....the pit of destruction," and, "....miry bog...," are not very far from any one of us.  What have you done today to, "....treasure up My Commandments with you"?  I know the busyness which attacks us all.  It is quite true that "there never seems to be enough hours in the day."  The very wise person, however, finds those "hours in the day," and, "treasure[s] up," His Words.  Jesus tells us, "Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food which the Son of Man will give you."  That, "food," my friend, is His Eternal Words.

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You so much for Your Words You Breathe on me.  Amen.
*************************************

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive