Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Who Is Leading You?


"If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor (or, 'value at a price')." (John 12:26, from yesterday's Gospel reading)

Most people want Jesus to follow them wherever they go, to work, school, shopping, mission trips, church activities, etc.  The Theology of the Bible is that you and I are called to, "....follow the Lamb wherever He goes."

Our text is the verse which sealed the decision to live in Berlin for a year.  Now understand the theology here.  Of course, as Psalm 139 says, the Blessed Trinity is everywhere, and mankind cannot escape Him, though it is to humanity's undoing that anyone would try.  It came to me, however, when I read our text in the summer of '98, "For me, Jesus is going to Berlin."  And, as a result, "If you, Woody, serve Me, you will follow Me to Berlin."  This is a life principle, yea, a Biblical Principle for us all, whether in "full-time" work or not.  The Theology of our text applies to vocations, choice of schools, mates, etc. 

Following is not what the flesh desires.  Even the most timid among us want to "lead," lead life to wherever we want to take it, lead God to where we want "to go in life."  How has that worked?  I have said and written it before, but the "revelation" which came to me many years ago still applies here.  I have been to many "leaders' conferences;" I have yet to go to a "followers conference."  Yet it is in the, "....follow Me", life style and mentality where we find peace, true contentment.  Jesus never intended you and me to find peace and contentment in leading.  "The Lord (Jesus)...leads me beside the still and quiet waters....He leads me in the paths of righteousness."  You and I cannot lead ourselves nor anyone else there. 

Another key in our text is, "If anyone serves Me...."  Ah, and here we have it, my friend.  Whom are we serving?  Serving Jesus requires following Jesus; serving myself requires following me.  In my "right mind," I do not want the latter.  Serving myself will find me, "there will I be------ alone."  I highly commend a daily "following check."  Make sure who is "out front," I or, "The Lord...Our Shepherd...."  All of the Biblical Promises are to followers, not leaders.  When Jesus is in fact leading you and me, it is then we can confidently know His, "....joy unspeakable and full of glory."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I readily confess to my too much attempting to lead in my life.  Holy
Spirit, keep me ever mindful of, "If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me...."  Amen.
***************************************
* Read: "Nazis in the Bundestag?"-- jhs58.blogspot.com
* Please pray for my time in DC, September 27 




When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive