Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, August 11, 2017

"Sleep On Now, And Take Your Rest"


"This is My Blood of the Covenant....Sleep on now, and take your rest; it is enough, the hour is come...." (Mark 14:24 & 41a, KJV))

They could, "Take your rest," because our Lord Jesus was "doing the work."  We have no idea, nor shall we ever-- "O, Sacred Head, Now Wounded."

Somehow humanity has never quite gotten the message.  Jesus said, "It is finished," or, It is over, or literally, "I pay, I end, I accomplish."  And contained in that, "'I accomplish/pay/end' work of the Cross" is the very life of, "Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough...."  That is, the "work" needed for our salvation, which includes our peace, healing, deliverance from and forgiveness of sin, our preservation, Jesus "end[ed]." 

"....My Blood of the Covenant," gives you and me the ability to face life in a, "Sleep on now, and take your rest."  Now I know some are thinking, "What do you mean, 'sleep on now'?  We are supposed to be hard workers."  Okay, if you are talking of "providing" for your family, contributing to society, taking the Gospel to the nations, yes, it is work.  But there is a work which is not work.  It is working in a sort of attempt to justify one's existence, an attempt to escape from life.

I say it again, "Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough," for Jesus', "....Blood of the Covenant," has brought you and me peace, has enabled us to walk in, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."  Even if your work is so hard that your heart rate at times goes over 100, there is in Jesus a, "Sleep on now, and take your rest...."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I cannot "understand" Gethsemane, but am so thankful that Jesus' bore all for me.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive