Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

For Those Who May Be In A Tough Time

"When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You who watch over my way." (Psalm 142:3, NIV)

If you are looking for a great prayer today, pray Psalm 142.  The title in the NIV is, "A maskil of David.  When he was in the cave.  A prayer."  David spent a large portion of his life "in [a] cave." 

Of course, few talk about those days of David because they are depressing to those who don't want to face reality.  But if we would only break out of our religious trappings, we would see that what happened to most people in Bible History has happened and is happening to most today around the world.  I don't know; maybe people don't like me writing about such thing either.  But my life today is at peace in Jesus because He has never allowed me to look at life with "rose-colored glasses."  Such a world view sells books, gets you invited to speak in conferences, but it will not help anyone one iota.

Our text is most revealing of Jesus' walk with/in us.  When I can't do anything, Jesus does everything (You know my testimony).  Yet few super saints want to admit that they are ever in a place, "When my spirit grows faint within me...."  Good for them--- but not for me.  It's embarrassing to say that I had somewhat of the attitude of Job (in today's Wisdom Literature reading) when I was younger, "I thought, 'I will die in my own house, my days as numerous as the grains of sandMy roots will reach to the water....My glory will not fade; the bow will be ever new in my hand."  Then life unfolds.  What we once thought was "life" was not and is not.  We become, again, like Job, 
"How I long for the months gone by, for the days when God watched over me....Oh, for the days when I was in my prime, when God's intimate friendship blessed my house, when the Almighty was still with me...."

Well, my weary traveler, Jesus never, no never, leaves us.  Jesus is, "....still with me..," indeed, in me, over all the years, through any tears, "....months gone by...when I was in my prime...."  I too experienced some seasons of "backsliding" in those younger days, yes, even as a pastor.  "Regrets? I've had a few."  But here I am, in Christ Jesus and Jesus in me, sustaining, keeping, forever securing.
  Our text today is the Bible--- "A prayer."  When you cannot pray, when you just cannot find the words, "The Word of  God," Himself will give you His Words to pray, and more, "When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You," Jesus, "Who watch over my way," whether we evaluate, "my way," as Job, some good, some ill, it has been Jesus Who has been the "Watchman," the, "....watch over..," of our souls.

Father, in Jesus' Name, what can I say today to and about "Such A Mighty God"?  Amen.


When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive