Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, June 12, 2017

The Journey Of Life

"Just as the Father raises up the dead and gives them life [makes them live on], even so the Son also gives life to whomever He wills and is pleased to give it." (John 5:21, Amplified Bible, Classic Edition, from today's Gospel reading)

I visited yesterday with an old friend who I have known for 53 years this month.  He is 90 years old and about ready to "go home."  He didn't recognize me at first, but then gave me a smile when I spoke of something he remembered of our days together.  It meant a lot to me.  Today's Gospel reading is a powerful reminder that when this "journey" ends, the next is only "beginning."

Most of my favorite musicians are gone now.  My grandparents and parents are gone.  It was 47 years ago today that Stephen left us.  The generations do come and go.  So little of modern Christendom prepares people for these days.  Yet, we are all headed in that "direction."  It's not a morbidity to talk of this.  It is reality.  No one likes to think of "that day," whenever it will come, but come it will.  But rejoice with me, my friend.  The Bible tells us, "All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grassThe grass withers, and its flower falls away, BUT THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURES FOREVER"!

A few moments ago I came from some time with Sarah's Mom.  She too is near the end of this journey.  I am, however reminded of what our Lord, King and Savior, Jesus Christ, tells us,  For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."  This is how I endure; this is how I go on; this is how I overcome, "....by the Blood of the Lamb and the Word to which they bore witness."

Today I remind you and me of the great passages about the Blessed Trinity's Faithfulness to, "all generations."  "Lord, Thou has been our dwelling place in all generations.....His truth endures to all generations....He has remembered His Covenant forever, the Word which He commanded to a thousand generations....Thy Kingdom is a Kingdom of all ages, and Your dominion endures throughout all generations."

Father, in Jesus' Name, only You and Your Words can comfort me.  Thank You for You and them.  Amen.
********************************
* "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem"
* Please pray for our October 28- November 15 Mission

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive