Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

"I Made....I Builded....I Planted...."

"I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards." (Ecc. 2:4, KJV))  "I took on great projects...." (CEB)  "I did some great things." (CEV) 

Even a casual reading of Ecclesiastes reveals that the writer's response to most everything he did was, "So what?" 

He attempted virtually everything that came to him.  His verdict of life, "on your own," was basically stated in his opening words, "Vanities of vanities," also, "absurdity, frustration, futility, nonsense, useless, nothing, mere breath."  The NIV says,  "MeaninglessMeaningless!"  This theme runs throughout the book.  How many of us have come to this realization of life, of that which we thought was so central, so important, so "I-cannot-live-without?"

There is a caution here for all of us.  "I made...; I built...; I planted...."  I must admit that a number of things in life which I thought were so important at age 21, things which would affect how I conducted my life, I now see that they, if not, "meaningless!", or, "nonsense," were not, at least, as "important" as I thought.  This was not defeatism for Solomon, nor is it for me.  This is a direct, non religious-spirit look at life.

Maybe today we need to ask ourselves, What is in our lives of which we can honestly say, "Meaningless!"?  Some people are too flippant with saying of others, "They have a lot of baggage."  You and I do too.  I pray with you today, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxieties, and see if there is any wicked (meaningless!) way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting", the way of Your meaning and purpose. 

Only our Lord Jesus Christ, by His Words and Holy Spirit, and, I might add, anyone who is walking in Jesus and His Words can help us in this.  If we "deal" with this, hopefully and prayerfully there will be no more, "Meaningless!" in our lives.

Father, in Jesus' Name, help me to deal with any, "Meaningless!"  Amen.
*************************

I know with our new discounts on airfare we have to make plans for our Berlin Mission much earlier than before.  We only hope and pray that our reminding you of our prayers needs does not grow wearisome.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2




























 



Blog Archive