Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, June 2, 2017

"Listen To Me" (One of Job's Accusers)

"In this you are not right, and I will show you why....Mark this well, Job, and listen to me....Keep silent and I will show you wisdom."  (Job 33, NLT)

James 3:17 tells us, "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield," or, "willing to listen, full of mercy and good fruitsIt is...without hypocrisy."  The Amplified says, "It is unwavering, without [self-righteous] hypocrisy, [and self-serving guile]."  Notice, "willing to yield."  This is not the "wisdom" of Elihu. 

Elihu reveals himself when he says, "....I will show you....I will show you...."  Moreover, many of his statements reveal to me classic condescension.  His true self, however, is revealed at the end of the Book of Job when, "The Word of God," affirms Job by saying to Eliphaz, "I am angry with you and your two friends, for you have not been right in what you have said about Me, as my servant Job was."  Notice that Jesus just ignores Elihu.  And, in an apparent contrast to Elihu's assertion about Job, "....you are not right," The Triune God says that Job was indeed, "....right in what (he) said about Me...."

"Keep silent and I will show you wisdom."  If you ever run into anyone who says this to you, flee.  A person who has wisdom, or is "smart," or "intelligent," or "perceptive" does not have to tell me.  "....Willing to listen."  This is not as Elihu, who said to Job that he had been "listening" to him.  All Elihu was doing was just waiting to jump into the conversation.  He had come to his conclusions about Job long before he spoke.  He was not "listening;" he was just waiting his turn to, "....show you wisdom."  This is far too frequently the nature of "sharing."  Too often it is not listening; it is just waiting.

An amazing fact about our Lord Jesus Christ is that when He was just a boy, the One Who alone is, "Before Abraham was, I Am," the Very, "Alpha and Omega," sat before and listened to many whom He would later call, "hypocrites," and asked questions.  Yes, God listened!  Maybe I should learn more of this.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray any "wisdom" I may have will be, "the wisdom from above...."  Amen.
*********************************
Truth about the "Paris Climate Accord" at:   jhs58.blogspot.com 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive