Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, June 29, 2017

"Let The Morning Bring Me Word Of Your...Love"

"Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You do I trust; cause me to know the way in which I should walk, for I lift up my soul to you."  (Psalm 143:8)  "Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting YouShow me where to walk, for I give myself to you" (NLT).  "Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love...." (NIV)

Nearing the end of the quarter, and the only passages left are my Psalms reading.  If you want a great prayer with which to start your day, I highly recommend the Psalm of our text, especially verses 6-12.  If this prayer does not "jump start" your day, well, maybe nothing will.

Today is the day of the month which is also Psalm 145 day, the only Psalm referred to as, "David's Psalm of Praise," or, "By David for Praise," or, "Praise.  By David."  Darby's Translation of, v. 13, says, "Thy kingdom is a kingdom of all ages, and Thy dominion is throughout all generations."  As Luther's hymn says of King Jesus, "from age to age the same, and He must win the battle."  That He has done, or for our time-space minds, is doing, my friend, no matter what is going on in our lives at this moment, "He must win the battle," because there is no other "outcome" possible with Him Who Alone is God, "the Eternal One," Who, "has been our dwelling place (refuge, hiding place) throughout all generations...."  Father, Son Jesus, and Holy Spirit is the One True God, the One of Whom the Bible decrees, "Before the mountains were born or You gave birth to the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting You are God."

Now I realize that most of the time I do not have some clever, contemporary illustration of our texts.  I guess for me, my life is the "illustration."  It is Jesus' Words which are, "my refuge, hiding place," over these last 47 years.  On that dark day in June, 1970 (even though the Sun was shining), I looked at that little casket, the grave marker, and was helpless.  Some weeks later our Lord Jesus spoke to my heart and led me to His Words, Words which had had only, in reality, a casual place in my life.  Then I began to realize that Jesus' Words are my life.  I don't go through the Bible every three months because I think I am more spiritual than others, or to tout it as something which makes me special.  I do it because my life depends on Him/Them.  Sorry if I don't need stories to "make the Word come alive."  His Words are already alive; hence, "....the morning bring[s] me word of Your unfailing love...."  Jesus' Words are the only way to "greet" the morning. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, "Great [are You] and greatly to be praised; and [Your] greatness is unsearchable."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive