Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, February 23, 2017

"Expectations" And "Plans"

"But oh, that God would speak, and open His lips against you...."  (Job 11:5)

Another "friend" shows up in our text.  I wonder what the atmosphere would have been if sitting with Job for a week would have been accompanied by some hugs.

A I read again through the Book of Job, I am reminded again that Genesis to Revelation declares God to be a Good Father, Good Shepherd/Brother, Good Indwelling Holy Spirit to all who surrender to Him (Biblical "receive" is defined in surrender).  Job's life is perhaps summed up in Jesus' Words to us, "....every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit....Abide in me, and I in youAs the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me."  This is, "The Word of God," to all humanity, Adam, Nimrod, Job, Isaac, David, Ahaz, Nebuchadnezzar, the Caesars, kings, Tsars, Prime Ministers, Presidents.  This was/is not a religious dissertation.  These Words are from our Lord Jesus Christ, "The Word of God," Himself.  They are "invitation" Words.  They are Words for Job and his accusers---------------- for you, me. 

A Catholic priest, once closed a meeting with this blessing:  "May all of your expectations be frustrated; may all of your plans be thwarted; may all of your desires be withered into nothingness, that you may experience the powerlessness and poverty of a child in order that you may sing and dance in the compassion of God, Who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit."  This describes Job's journey.  The whole of the Bible concurs, as does  life itself.  So, my friend, "Sing and dance."  The reality, "Jesus is Lord," in part means that when we are frustrated, thwarted, and "withered to nothingness," as was Job, Jesus' grace, power and mercy shine forth in glorious splendor.  Consider Job. 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I so thank You for frustrating my expectations and thwarting my plans.  I only want Your plans.  Amen.
***************************
* Berlin Mission:     October 28-November 1
* I received an appeal from an international ministry which said that just because they don't speak of their need, it does not mean they have what they need to continue.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive