Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, February 24, 2017

"....A Fatal Mistake...."

"Be sure of this: I warn you today that you made a fatal mistake when you sent me to the Lord your God and said, 'Pray to the Lord our God for us; tell us everything he says and we will do it.'" (Jeremiah 42:19b, 20--NIV)

I'm not a Hebrew expert, but the NIV translation is not that different from other English translations,  "....you made a fatal mistake when you...said, 'Pray...for us....'"  It seems to me from the context that the, "fatal mistake," was wanting prayer to know, "....everything He says..," but not a willingness to obey, "....everything He says...."

Now, "fatal mistake," may seem a little too excessive.  How many of us, however, have made a "mistake" by getting a real "prophetic" person, i.e., someone who has no agenda but Jesus Christ's, to pray for us, or from whom we have asked advice or an "opinion?"  This is the reason too many church people go to the people and places which will tell them what they either want to hear, or will confirm what they believe to be, "everything He says," but, alas, make not be.

My parents were "fatal-mistake" personages.  I had coaches, scout master, teachers, and some friends who were also "fatal-mistake" people.  They were what some may call, "straight shooters," told me the truth, helped me face the reality of life, not some fantasy of life.  "A fatal mistake," that is, to our carnal "side," is to pray, "Thy Kingdom comeThy will be done in earth as it is in Heaven."  I can promise us all, both are happening and will continue so.  When someone prays, "The Word of God," get ready.  Some very likely "unexpected" things just may happen. 

Jesus Christ is fulfilling His Purposes in the Earth, and if we say to the "wrong" people, "Pray...for us..," we will encounter Jesus' Purposes, Jesus' Will.  If we don't intend to obey, "....everything He says..," it is better not to ask for the "wrong" people to pray for us.  We will then be held accountable and without excuse.

Our text at first seemed kind of "funny."  Yet the more I think about it, it is a solemn warning.  The NKJV says, "For you were hypocrites in your hearts when you sent me to the Lord.., saying, 'Pray for us...."  The NASB say, "For you have only deceived yourselves...."  We do not want that, do we?  We want to hear from The Blessed Trinity.  We want to know, "....everything He says."  And, equally, we want to obey.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I say, and believe, that I really want to know and hear, "everything [You have] to say...."  I only hope and pray I will obey.  Amen.
***********************
Correction on Berlin Mission dates:       October 28-November 15, 2017

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive