Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, February 6, 2017

Eccliesiastes 6

"But if he finds no satisfaction in life..., his birth would have been meaningless, and he would have ended in darkness." (Ecclesiastes 6, NLT)

An unsatisfied life ends, "in darkness."  Perhaps it would behoove humanity to seek the satisfaction which the Blessed Trinity intended for it.

"We just ran out of gas," said the Atlantic Falcons coach after their embarrassing loss to the Patriots.  Those were my exact words as the Patriots scored the final touchdown.  I have always had my doubts about NFL training.  Some, I'm sure, train well, but it doesn't seem to be like high school and college training.  YOU HAVE TO.  My observation has been always, though, that the stronger team will just wear you out, and, alas, there is just nothing you can do about that.  There you have it, my take on the 2017 Super Bowl.

People who put their trust and hopes and dreams in such things, the popular pursuits of life, the whatevers of life, are those who are doomed to live a life, "....ended in darkness."  I was pulling for the Atlantic Falcons because they have never won a Super Bowl.  There are some, however, "....in darkness", in the US today.  I have heard reports of unbelievable sadness, depression, etc,. of some sports fans after their favorite team looses an event.  Now to some of us, it is ridiculous, but for them the, "in darkness," is very real.

What is the contrast to a life which, "finds no satisfaction..., (is) meaningless,.. in darkness"?  Of course you know, Jesus.  I just spent a few days with some of our grandchildren.  It is always a little sad when I have to leave our children and their children, but today as I was driving and listening to some Psalms, I experienced once again that great, well it is greater than a "feeling."  It was, "joy unspeakable and full of glory," yes, but also that, "peace which passes understanding," which is Jesus Christ Himself.  His Words are always the "remedy" for life's whatevers.

Father, in Jesus' Name, You turn, "....no satisfaction...,  meaningless[ness],.. darkness", into You, "The Light of the World."  Also, "You will show me the path of life.  In Your presence is fullness of joyAt Your right hand are pleasures for evermore."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive