Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Ecclesiastes 5

"Do not be rash with your mouth, and let not your heart utter anything hastily before GodFor God is in heaven and you on earth; therefore let your words be few." (Ecclesiastes 5:2)

After I committed to going through Ecclesiastes with you, I realized that would include Saturdays and Sundays; therefore, from sunny Cincinnati---------  Could our text be similar to the warning in Joshua about following the Ark too closely? 

As with any portion of Scripture, there is so much to say about all.  I chose verse 2 because of something I have been observing about my praying in recent years, "....therefore let your words be few."  I have found that when you get a "good prayer," keep it, and keep it going.  The Lord's Prayer is such, as is the "prayer of Jabez," as are so very many Bible prayers.  Notice:  I wrote praying these prayers, not to be caught up in the attempt to interpret them. 

But there is more here than praying.  Sometimes we just plain talk to much.  Notice, "....let not your heart utter hastily...."  Everything which comes out of our mouths originates in our hearts.  What my mouth says is what my heart is saying.  Furthermore, you have heard, I'm sure, the statement, "They have no inner dialogue," people who just have to tell you everything they believe, they feel, etc.  This also is a, "heart," issue.  At any rate, there is something here more than I fully grasp.  Here are some prayers for you and me to help us to walk in today's text.  They are from Ephesians and Colossians. "that...our Lord Jesus Christ...may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened....Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one."

I wonder how this would go.  "Do not be rash with your mouth....Therefore let your words be few."  The first part is perhaps a best cure for the last part.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I so want life-changing and other-impacting meaning here.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive