Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, January 20, 2017

Reflections on the 2017 American Inauguration

"If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand forget it skill."  Psalm 139:%)

I expected some of the reactions, in some cases vitriolic, to President Trump's speech.  They forget that he is not a career politician, talking nice nothings which very nicely gets nothing done.  He was not there to coddle his predecessors or the US Congress.  He reiterated much of his campaign promises.  Now, he finds himself in what no other president in my life time has equaled:  "Put up or shut up."  One critic said that he made promises that no one can keep.  I can tell you that there are many politicians and pundits in this country who hope he can not "put up," because their demagoguery failures would be a great cause for them to "shut up."


I almost stood up and shouted when the Rabbi quoted from Psalm 137, "By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion....If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill...."  I pray that President Trump does everything he committed to Israel during the primaries. 
And then Franklin' Graham's reading from 1 Timothy 2-- powerful.  For those of you who read my devotionals in other nations, I ask that you please continue to pray for the United States of America.  Whether we or any other nation likes or accepts it or not, America is and has been since the Second War the only force on earth which has kept the likes of China, North Korea, Russia, ISIS from enslaving the other nations of the world.

There is a very real sense in which The United States of America has been a moral force in the world.  I can cite as well as anyone the failing of America.  But I can also cite many examples in which America has helped "good" to triumph over evil.  I say to us Americans that praying more now for our nation is absolutely imperative.  As we read in Jeremiah, "....Seek the peace of this city (nation)...and pray to the Lord for it, for in its peace you will have peace."  This could define a call to Divine "self preservation."

Finally, I rejoice in the victory of our Judeo-Christian tradition in most of the prayers.  The influx of paganism was dealt a blow.  The Name of our Lord Jesus Christ was prevalent and roared throughout the crowd, Washington, DC, America and the nations of the world.  "Political correctness" took a "back seat."

Father, in Jesus' Name, "Thy Kingdom comeThy Will be done in earth (in the United States of America, in my family and life) as it is in Heaven."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive