Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, January 19, 2017

"How To Pray"

"For you make me glad by Your deeds, Lord; I sing for joy at what your hands have doneHow great are your works, Lord, how profound Your thoughtsSenseless people do not know, fools do not understand....Your enemies, Lord, surely Your enemies will...be scattered....My eyes have seen the defeat of my adversaries; my ears have heard the rout of my wicked foesThe righteous will flourish...."  (Psalm 92, NIV)

I was over at Sarah's Mom this morning finishing some coffee, praying while watching some "hearings," which has become code for witch hunt.  As I walked out on the porch, I had a great sense of our text.  It has dominated my praying today.

If someone were to observe my "prayer life," they would probably not recognize much of it from the books on "How to Pray," etc.  A rereading of our text reveals how I tend to pray.  Jesus, "Word of God," speaks and I "agree," surrender to and submit to what He says, and, hence, pray that.  It is sort of like a cartoon from childhood where a little dog, Chester, is tagging along with a big dog, Spike, and keeps repeating something like, "You and me buddies, huh, Spike."  The attitude always seemed to me to be that since Chester knows "what's good for him," he wants to do anything and everything to please Spike.

You don't have to buy a book on prayer; read your Bible.  Praying His Words are the same as a continual praying of, "Thy Kingdom comeThy will be done in earth as it is in Heaven."  This is praying, asking, interceding always with a sort of, This is what I pray, but may what You say prevail.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You that You are "doing" our text.  Amen.
********************
A brief clip of Spike and Chester is on the devotional blog site.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive