Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, January 27, 2017

"Reasonable Minds...."

"My heart is not proud, Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for meBut I have calmed and quieted myself...like a weaned child....Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore."  (Psalm 131)

You may have noticed over the years that I refer to humanism from time to time.  Humanism is the opposite of our text.
"Humanist Manifesto I" (1933):

"Today man's larger understanding of the universe, his scientific achievements, and deeper appreciation of brotherhood, have created a situation which requires a new statement of the means and purposes of religion."
"Humanist Manifesto II:
It is forty years since Humanist Manifesto I appeared.  Events since then make that earlier statement seem far too optimistic....As in 1933 humanists still believe that traditional theism, especially faith in the prayer-hearing God, assumed to live and care for persons, to hear and understand their prayers, and to be able to do something about them, is an unproved and outmoded faith....Reasonable minds look to other means for survival."

Today is "Holocaust Remembrance Day."  Notice that the 1973 version, which is post Holocaust, even though a little "sheepish," still defiantly holds to meism.  I know most people who have read these devotionals over the last 16 years may think, "O, here comes the same ol' same ol'."  But take the, "God-Breathed" Words out of our lives, and all you have left is humanism, man reasoning the universe all alone, viz., "Reasonable minds look to other means for survival."

Notice that our text affirms the Lordship of the Living Triune God in Jesus Christ.  Only with the attitude of, "My heart is not proud,.." can one live in this world in the purposes and blessing of The Blessed Trinity.  Only with such an attitude/life style can I surrender to, "The Word of God," Jesus Christ, and His Words.  I have been being saved daily by that which humanists reject, "the Words of God"--- "life to those who find them and medicine to all [my] flesh."  Otherwise, I would be as the humanists.  "Reasonable minds look to other means for survival."  To any humanist I say, How is that working?

Father, in Jesus'  Name, "....I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother...," because I see my worthlessness without You.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive