Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, January 26, 2017

"Be Prepared"


"Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage-- with great patience and careful instruction." (2 Timothy 4:2, NIV)

Some of the translations of the Greek words used in our text are, "expose, discipline, rebuke, chide, warn, beseech, entreat, beg, encourage, console."  These words are really a summation of God's dealing with humanity.  We can see this in the Pentateuch, Historic Books, the Prophets, the Gospels and Epistles.  The problem with most, however, is they create a god in their image: "This is the god I want and choose, a god who only consoles me."

Most of us do not come to the Bible or sermons or Bible studies looking for, "expose, discipline, rebuke, warn."  We come looking for, "beg, encourage, console."  But when did the Bible become a smorgasbord?  This is selective religion, making God the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit what unrepentant people want.  They want a pass on their sin and rebellion.  Paul told Timothy to instead, "Preach the Word," and it is, "The Word," which will, "expose, discipline, rebuke, hide, warn, beseech, entreat, beg, encourage, console."  I confess I need all.

When you come to, "the Words of God," what are you looking for?  When you go to "preaching services," Bible studies, etc., is your first reaction openness or, "Give me what I want?"  Jesus says, "The Words that I speak to you, they are spirit and they are life."  If I believe Jesus, I will receive all, "....Words that I speak to you...."  Our text tells us, not just preachers, to, "....be prepared in season and out of season," aka, all the time.  The only way that is possible is to be full of Jesus' Words, "in season and out of season."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I believe You are my Good Father, and because I do, I want to continue to hear and obey, "The Words that [You] speak to [me]."  
**********************************
If you are interested in knowing the expenses for the October/November Mission, you can email me.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive