Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, November 17, 2016

"When We Are Cursed, We Bless"

"We work hard with our own handsWhen we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindlyWe have become the scum of the earth, the garbage of the world--- right up to this moment."  (1 Corinthians 4:12, 13--NIV)

And we can add, "right up to this moment", today. 

Most of the world throughout history has regarded the Followers of Jesus as, "the scum of the earth...--- right up to this moment."  But I can tell you also that much, if not most, of the Followers of Jesus have responded with blessing for cursing, persecution with endurance, slandering with kindly answering.  Now while many of us may not feel and act as Paul tells us of himself and those around him, it is, nonetheless, who we are in Jesus Christ.  In other words, this should be our lifestyle. 

Our text is an exact description of Jesus, our Savior and King.  Just consider His time before the Sanhedrin and Pilate.  As we read the Gospels, we see Jesus walking among men as kind, direct, speaking into lives no more nor less than personages needed to hear.  Some of Jesus' Words at times seem insensitive.  For example, when a man asked Jesus to tell his brother to share the inheritance, Jesus responded, "Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?"  Jesus then said, "....Beware of covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses."  Jesus epitomizes "the right word at the right time," or, "in season or out of season."  So you see, our text is not all Mr. Rogers.

Maybe our text is telling us to walk in Isaiah 50:4, "The Lord God has given Me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him who is weary."  Every day of our lives we have needed, need, and will need our text.  People who view us as, "scum," and, "garbage," are all around us, though they may not use such words.  Our call is to manifest Jesus to them, and it is not "WWJD."  It is, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in meSo I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Father, in Jesus'  Name, I thank You for what You have said, that "in my heart and in my mind," are Your Words.  I so claim that.  Amen.
***********************
Sarah and I will be going to Florida right after Thanksgiving.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive