Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

"....Nothing...Except Jesus Christ...."

(Also access at:  apfdevotionals.blogspot.com)
"....I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony (mystery) about GodFor I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."  (1 Corinthians 2:1, 2--NIV)

Apparently, any sermon, teaching, testifying, songs, ministry, etc., which are not centered in our text just fall into the category of, "eloquence or human wisdom."  They can be nothing except, "human wisdom," without Jesus, without His Name and Glory central, preeminent, foundational, ruling in everything of the Church.  No "Believer" nor unbeliever should have any doubt, any wavering, and confusion as to Who the Church is "about."

This is so absolutely important.  Do not think for a moment that just because a person claims "born again" status, they are, or if they are, they have not lost the focus, the centrality of Jesus Christ.  I have witnessed this over my entire lifetime.  O, how easily it happens.  First comes "my ministry."  Then comes, "How can we make our church bigger, appeal to more people."  I can tell you that if Jesus Christ is not central in my life or in the life of the Church, people will become central, their "needs," their wants.  If the focus of the Church is "the hurting," the poor, even "the lost," it becomes so easy to have them become "The Church's One Foundation" rather than Jesus.  Now if this sounds cold-hearted to you, you have missed my point.  Only as we live our lives, "Looking unto Jesus," are we empowered to do, "the work of the ministry."  If, "the ministry," is the focus, we are doomed, literally. 

Our text is not telling us to just repeat John 3:16 over and over.  The Holy Spirit is commanding the Church to, "....not come with eloquence," whether in speech or plans, "or human wisdom as [we] proclaim[]...the testimony about God," and/or as we do or say anything.  Rather, we are to, "....know nothing...except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."  I repeat something I have shared over the 52 years of ministry.  When a guest at one of the services of "The Metropolitan Tabernacle" in London heard Charles Spurgeon preach, someone asked him after the service, "Well, what to you think of the prince of the pulpit?"  The guest responded, "I don't know.  But Jesus Christ sure must be a wonderful person."

Father, in Jesus' Name, as You pointed the "original" disciples to Your Son, so may I.  Amen.
*********************************
News you are probably not getting anywhere else:   jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive