Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

"When the Chief Shepherd Appears"

"....Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away."
 (1 Peter 5:2-4)

"....The Chief Shepherd appears...," more than most perhaps realize.  Reality has it that every time a Follower of Jesus Christ, one "in whom Jesus lives," walks into a room, "The Chief Shepherd appears."  The Church in a community is, "The Chief Shepherd appears."  Of course, it is unlike That Day, "....when the Chief Shepherd appears," heralded by, "The Trumpet of God."  But may we never marginalize the Biblical Theology of, "Christ in you, the hope of glory." 

The NIV title for 1 Peter 5 is: "To the Elders and the Flock."  We could say this about the whole Bible.  Beware of considering any passage for just a few or some erroneous category.  I always read the Bible as written to me, not just Apostles, Prophets, "the hurting," etc.  Note the attitude which Peter expresses here for elders and overseers.  None of them, however, apply only to elders and overseers.  "Serving.., not by compulsion but willingly,..eagerly;..being examples...."  This is a description of The Church.  This is Jesus Christ in us, walking among men, "serving...."  

All characteristics in our text reflect Jesus Christ.  And that is exactly what you and I are called to. "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me...serving...willingly,..eagerly;..being examples." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, Your Words call me to "heights" I feel I have never nor can ever attain.  Then I realize, it is not my attaining, but Your mercy as I live, "crucified with Christ."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive