Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

"....More Than My Daily Bread"

"I have not departed from the commands of His lips; I have treasured the Words of His mouth more than my daily bread." (Job 23:12, NIV)

Most think of the Book of Job as the book of suffering; perhaps this is accurate.  Job and his wife had lost their entire family and business.  Job's health took a nose dive.  Job's response to their plight was today's text.  His wife took the route of so many, "Curse God and die."  I know too many people such as she.  Suffering can produce this life philosophy.  But who wins with this?  What does this solve?

I could have done this.  One reason I did/do not is, How absolutely stupid is this?  I say of our Lord Jesus Christ what the hymn writer penned so long ago: "Oh, how could I this Friend deny when He's so true to me?...Eternal life, eternal joy, He's my Friend."  Friendship does not mean that the "friend" is and does exactly what I want.  That would be a stuffed toy.  A friend is one who is always "there for you," is honest with you, and will not "let you drive drunk." 

There was a Medieval saint who once said, "The worse He could do to me is still better than I deserve."  Now some do not like such a "theology."  It does not, however, change the reality.  Tell me, please, what do you and I "deserve?"  The main reason I have survived a deep "tragedy" is that I hold to today's text.  I hold on with the proverbial "death grip," for if I did not, death would be the result, physically and spiritually. 

O Lord Jesus, "I have not departed from the commands of [Your] Lips; I have treasured the Words of [Your] Mouth more than my daily bread."  Father, in Jesus' Name, O for grace to make this a life prayer and lifestyle.  Amen. 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive