Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, March 17, 2016

What is the Main Sign Of A Disciple of Jesus?

"Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, 'If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.'" (John 8:31)

It is very clear from these Words of Jesus that what makes a disciple of our Lord Jesus Christ is not my preaching, witnessing, worshiping, praying, missions, doing good works.  What determines who is and who is not a disciple of Jesus Christ is, "If you abide in My Word."  Jesus then tells us that, "the truth shall make you free."  This passage is often quoted not only by Followers of Jesus, but also even humanists.  What most Believers and unbelievers fail to see, however, is that the, "truth," which, "make[s] you free," can only come by, "If you abide in My Word."

The conversation recorded in John 8 is between Jesus and the Jewish unbelievers as well as the believers.  Notice that from verse 31 on, however, the conversation is with, "those Jews who believed Him."  At one point, though, Jesus has to say to, "those Jews who believed Him,.."You are of your father the devil."  The reason for this is, again, found in our text.  These "believer" were not abiding in Jesus' Word.  The more Jesus spoke, "My word," the less they, "believed Him."

It is a cause for, "the fear of the Lord," to realize that a person can claim, "born again," status, yet find himself aligned with, "the devil."  The way to escape this trap is found in today's text, "If you abide," viz., live, obey, "in My Word."  If "discipleship training" classes are not a study of, "the Word of God," they are not discipleship training in the way of Jesus.  If you and I want the truth which not only, "makes you free," but makes us disciples of Jesus, Jesus makes it very clear, "....Abide in My Word."

Father, in Jesus' Name, keep me in Your Word.  I have no other safety.  Amen.
****************************
Berlin Mission:  October 2016

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive