Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

"The Kingdom of God Is Within You"



"For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you ('in your midst')."  (Luke 17:21)

Too many believe this means that, "the Kingdom of God," does not impact nations, the Church should "stay out of politics," go along with shady practices at work, etc.  "Faith is a private matter," a within-religion.   How convenient for people who want life "safe."

Apparently both translations of our text are suitable, "within you," or, "in your midst."  I have taught, and read others who say, that the reason Jesus may have said, "in your midst," is that He was referring to Himself; that is certainly fundamental to everything Biblical.  But today as I read our text, I realized that I am responsible here.  If, "the Kingdom of God is within you," then wherever I go, I am a bearer of said Kingdom.  I am to be a citizen of the, "Kingdom of Heaven."  The phrase, "Ambassadors for Christ," is a Kingdom term.  When we speak of "Church," we speak of, "the Body of Christ."  When we say, "The Kingdom of God/Heaven," however, we speak of the Reign of Christ, the Government of God in the earth; and there is nowhere, no individual, no nation which does not fall under the reign, control, if you will, of Jesus.  Man only thinks he is running things.  It can be cliche to some, but there is a very real sense in which history is "His Story."  Whichever translation of our text one may use, the truth is that the Church, the Followers of Jesus, are the, "Ambassadors," of the Kingdom of God/Heaven. Wherever you and I go today, there is the "diplomatic" logo on us, "Jesus shall reign where e'er the sun doth his successive journeys run."  People should look at us, hear us and see and hear the Kingdom of God.  Literally, God help us.

I usually fast on Wednesdays, but I decided to fast today because this is called "Super Tuesday" in the United States of America.  I ask that those of you who receive this devotional in other nations today pray for America.  If I thought the last two elections were pivotal, I cannot describe what I feel/sense about the coming 2016 Presidential Election.  But there's more.  If Followers of Jesus do not turn out and vote Kingdom values, then the US Presidency, the Congress and the Courts will be under the control of another kingdom, the Kingdom of Darkness.  It is true that we have had "conservative" presidents and Congresses which have supposedly reflected more the teachings of Jesus, but what have they accomplished?--- relatively little.  "Conservative," "Tea Party," "patriot," does not translate to Followers of Jesus, people in whom Jesus Christ lives and rules.  Jesus did not tell us to go into all the world and make "converts" so that we can get them into "church."  He commanded us to, "make disciples," viz., people whose entire existence is under His Authority, people who think, act, and live as, "bond slaves," of Jesus.

Devotional? you may ask.  Yes.  Few church-goers have any idea of what the, "The Kingdom of God/Heaven," means.  The difference between me and them is that while I do not fully grasp what it all means, I do not accept the "not-knowing."  In some measure, it means my "worship," my praying, my "witness," my market-place dealings reflect, "Jesus Christ is Lord."  Of course, no one does this "perfectly," though our Lord Jesus does command us to be, "perfect as []our Father...is perfect" or, "complete," however one chooses to read/hear it.  I have not always, nor do I now fully understand/walk in the powerful truth, "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."  But I had better make it my priority.  I do not want "pick and choose" religion.  I would never "pick" rightly.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I so ask that I understand and walk in, "Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."  Amen.




When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive