Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I Don't Want Anyone To Miss This

"Then the angel showed me the river of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb, down the middle of the street of the great city."  (Revelation 22:1, 2a- NIV)

Here we are at the end of the quarter and the end of the Bible.  As I read our text, I began to pray more fervently for people to come to Jesus, some for whom I have prayed for many years.  I do not want to miss this, nor do I want anyone else to miss this great sight.  George Mueller prayed for 52 years for one of his friends to come to Jesus, and he did.  It was, however, after Mueller died.

I have often wondered what is, "....the effectual fervent prayer...."  Literally, "Much prevails the prayer of a righteous man effecting."  The word translated, "effectual," means basically, "at work," and the word for, "fervent," means, "much."  Back in 2002, when I was asked in a meeting to share what I was doing in DC, Alan Vincent said to the group, "Prayer is hard work."  It is, yet a most enjoyable "work."  But what is the prayer which "brings results," prayer which sees people coming to Jesus?  How much does our praying affect the answer, and how much does the response of others affect it?  Is, "the effectual fervent prayer," yelling at God, raising your voice, all night prayer meetings, 24/7/365 prayer watches??  Is it repeating the same thing over and over and over again?  I'm sure there is much more to it than most of us know.

I confess that to me there is still a "mystery" about praying.  I do know, however, that Jesus teaches us to, "pray and never give up."  So will I do, and so I pray you.  As I prayed for governments today, I confess I do not know what the Lord Jesus is about, but I prayed and will continue to pray for governments.  Likewise, I say the same for people for whom I pray.  There is something prepared for us that is beyond description, that is, a description which is adequate to the splendor and grandeur of the world to come.  O, how I long for us all to see that, "river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I pray that no one will miss what you have, "prepared for those who love you."  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive