Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, February 26, 2016

"Love Is...."

"Though I speak....And though I have....And though I bestow all..., but have not love, it profits me nothing." (1 Corinthians 13)

Apparently one can do everything which seems good yet, "profits me nothing."

This is the 1 Corinthian 13 time of the quarter.  Many years ago I came to the realization that the KJV rending, "charity," for the word translated, "love," is the best translation.  Love means so many things to people.  "I love you," is said by so many people.  Yet many then go to court, get a divorce, become bitter, feel betrayed.  Love to most is a feeling, perhaps of passion, or of warmth and the connection of family ties.  The reason for this "fleeting," and somewhat selfish nature of man's use of the word, "love," is the word has no "Jesus meaning" and power Jesus in it.

I have shared many times that the best translation of John 3:16 is, "God loved the world this way: He gave...."  Jesus' love is charity, i.e, giving.  The dictionary defines charity as, "benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity; generosity and helpfulness...aid given to those in need...a gift for public benevolent purposes."  Love is giving and expecting nothing in return.  Jesus commanded us, "But love your enemies...."  Then, in case we do not understand what that means, Jesus goes on to define love, "Do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return...."  This is, "Charity."  Our "expecter" is blank, viz., "expecting nothing...." 

You have probably heard people say, "Well, I keep giving and giving and get nothing back."  Those words are always laced with bitterness.  If our love is based on expectation of being loved in return, or giving and expecting to receive, then we are not walking in the love of Jesus.  If Jesus would not love me the way of love described in 1 Corinthians 13, I am done for.  But He does, "....I am among you as the one who serves."  Jesus, "gave Himself for us," in His cross, His Blood, Death and resurrection.  Could we say that Jesus "serves us Himself?"  He is giving Himself continually to you and me.  His residence in us is a manifestation of, "expecting nothing."  No one gets paid for charitable giving.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I want to walk in Your Love.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive