Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

"I Have More Understanding...For I Obey...."

"I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Your precepts." (Psalm 119:100)

The NIV says, "I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts."

"....because I keep ('obey') Your precepts,"  not, "because I read Your precepts."  Or, for that matter, not "because" anything other than obedience.

This really got my attention today.  Understanding comes from obedience, not hearing, reading, writing or anything else.  I think some people believe that hearing, teaching, and/or reading translates to doing.  You and I know that is not the case.  Understanding is not head-nodding, or amens, or hand clapping.  Only when I do the Word of God does any understanding come to me.

No one can understand by just reading or hearing.  It is when Peter got out of the boat that he understood the power of Jesus' command to, "Come."  Nothing in the situation could give Peter any understanding of what was going on.  In fact, only unbelief, "misunderstanding" could rule.  Then Peter obeyed, and he did what is just not Darwinian possible.

If it is understanding you seek, "obey [Jesus'] precepts," words, commands.  I simply will not, "understand," if I do not, "obey."   We we, "....obey Your precepts," then that person who seems to have so much understanding, but is really just wowing you with their abilities, well, you will be able to say, "I have more understanding than...."

Father, in Jesus' Name, I hear; now I desire to obey.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive