Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Friday, January 22, 2016

I Have An Invitation For You

"But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business.....But when the king heard about it, he was furiousAnd he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city....Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding." (Matthew 22)

Jesus' teachings are full of, "This is what I offer you.  If you live in Me and I in you, if you obey my words, you will have, "My peace....'  If you do not live in Me and I in you, if you reject my words, you will have a life of frustration, bitterness, and ultimately rejection and judgment."  Our text is such a teaching.

After so many rejected the King's invitation to the wedding and the accompanying feast, our text tells us that the servants were commanded, "Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding."  When, "those who were invited...were not willing to come", the King "threw open" the invitations to everyone who would hear, receive and respond to the invitation.

Our area is under a "winter storm warning."  This means, in meteorologist terms, a storm is coming; count on it.  There are also storm "watches," and storm "advisories," depending on the greater or less possibility. Everything Jesus says is a "storm warning;" it is coming; He is coming. 
By "warning," I mean the same, yes, even greater than NOAA's warnings.  It is the absolute certainty expressed in His Words, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away."  The only "watch" and "advisory" about the Words of Jesus is the reaction of you and me and humanity.   Your invitation to the Wedding Feast has been sent.  The "warning" aspect is the reality that the Wedding will take place, and His Invitation has been sent to all.  The "watch/advisory" aspect is:  What is our response?

Father, in Jesus' Name, I respond with a resounding, "I accept Your more-than-I-deserve invitation." Amen.
*******************   
* Still planning on DC Mission, January 27.
* Already have a contribution commitment towards our Berlin Mission.  Thanks to a faithful family. 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive