Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, December 28, 2015

"Beyond The Sunset"

"How shall we sing the Lord's song in a foreign land?" (Psalm 137:4)

I pray you are enjoying the Christmas Season with family and friends.  It is just so good to be together.  Of course at this season we all miss those who used to be around the table.

Our text is about the Jews taken into captivity, taken from their homes and, even some of them, from family.  They were where they did not want to be.  But then they reminded themselves that there is always hope in the Lord God.  "If I forget...," in the following verse indicated that instead of giving up on what they had, they should remember that better days were ahead, no matter how long the wait might be.

There are also better days for all of us.  "This world is not my home," the song writer penned, "I'm just a passing through, my treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue.  The angels beacon me from Heaven's open door and I can't feel at home in this world any more."  No, this is not "escapism."  This is reality, the same reality I saw in my grandpa's face when he left this "home" and went "somewhere beyond the blue."  What a wonderful heritage to have parents and grandparents, as well as many other faithful among the saints, who could, "sing the Lord's song in a foreign land".

By in large, modern Christendom has allowed itself to reject talk of, "This world is not my home."  The cynics, in the world and in Christendom, have mocked those who still look to "the other side," as my Grandpa saw.  They are the same as the mockers of those Jews who spoke of Jerusalem as their home.  "Get over it.  It is just a dream; it's gone.  Adapt yourselves to Babylon and be of some good here.  Stop living in a dream world." 
Sound familiar?  (Actually, I think some of this today is driven by religious leaders who just want to keep you so busy "here," keeping their "work" going.)  The words may be different, but the heart of the cynic is the same------ the attempt to destroy hope in Jesus, to destroy, "the faith of Jesus," which says, "In My Father's house are many mansions....I go to prepare a place for you."  Do not allow them to prevail!

Sarah's Mom will be 95 in June.  She has taken to humming and singing.  As I was in her place last night, she starting singing, "Beyond the Sunset."  She is very forgetful about so many things, but apparently she still has embedded in her heart who she is in Jesus.  I only pray the same has gone as deep in you and me.
"Beyond the sunset, O blissful morning,
When with our Savior Heaven's begun.
Earth's tolling ended, O glorious dawning
Beyond the sunset when day is done." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, I thank You for all You have gone, "to prepare a place for [me]."  Amen.  

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive