Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

'Your Years Go On Through All Generations"

"So I said: 'Do not take me away, my God, in the midst of my days; Your years go on through all generationsIn the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your handsThey will perish, but You remain; they will all wear out like a garmentLike clothing you will change them and they will be discardedBut You remain the same, and your years will never end.'"  (Psalm 102, NIV)

Psalm 102 is a great example of a suffering/victorious soul.  He openly and honestly states his present condition, and at the same time declares some of the greatest passages of praise in the Scripture. 

Notice the psalmist's "reasoning" that the Lord Jesus (see Hebrews 1) will answer his prayer, "In the beginning You."  And, "You remain the same, and your years will never end."  The conclusion which you and I can make?  He will, "remain the same, and [His] years will never end"; therefore, so will you and I.  How do I know?  You and I are in Jesus and Jesus in us. 

I encourage you and me to look beyond the "now" of our lives.  Get our thinking and living in the eternal, viz, "The Eternal One."  Our text along with Biblical Theology teaches us that when we doubt what will happen to us in suffering, turmoil and uncertainty, if we think it's all over, we can say with Paul, "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him Who loved us," and still loves us.  "Through Him," our Lord Jesus, Who will, "remain the same, and [Whose] years will never end," is the guarantee that neither will yours nor mine.

Father, in Jesus' Name, I join the psalmist in worship.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive