Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Monday, July 20, 2015

"The Fire Must...Not Go Out"

"The fire on the altar must be kept burning; it must not go out....The fire must be kept burning on the altar continuously; it must not go out."  (From Leviticus 6:12 & 13, NIV)

Every quarter when I read our text, the Holy Spirit will not let me forget.

I grew up in the home of a pray-er, soul winner, Bible preacher/teacher/expositor, faithful in his generation; may our Lord Jesus Christ grant me such an anointing.  I remember him talking of the "Moravian Revival" from the time I was a very young boy, the revival which sparked the 24/7/365 prayer which went on, by some accounts, for 120 years.  Not long before my Dad passed, I was in Herrnhut, and in the actual Church Building in Berthelsdorf, just about a mile out of Herrnhut (Since 2013, Berthelsdorf has been incorporated in Herrnhut).  It was in that Lutheran Church Building in Berthelsdorf where on August 13, 1727, during a communion service, the "great revival" began.  I have a recording of me standing in the pulpit of that building and reading some Scripture.  What an absolute privilege. 

The "theme" verse of the Unitas Fratrum, which means "United Brethren," literally, "Unity of the Brethren," Community in Herrnhut was our text.  If someone is going to act literally on an ancient text, I know of none better.  There are some such "movements" around the Globe.  I wonder, however, what would happen in the United States and other nations, if the Global Church would walk out, "The fire on the altar must...not go out." 

There is a sad historic truth; all revivals fissile out.  Remember the "Charismatic Renewal?"  Humanity in general, and Christendom in particular, has mastered the art of "fissile."  The literal "wake up" call I received a few weeks still "haunts" me.  It was jolt, a sort of, "What are you doing?  Now get on with what I commanded."  It is a word, I have no doubt, to the Church, to you as well as to me. 

I encourage you today, in the midst of joys and sorrows, to rejoice in Jesus and continue the walk of, "Abide in Me."  Paul knew both joys and sorrows, but his response if for you and me also.  "....I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances i know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plentyI have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  I have a friend who is 85, still traveling and serving Jesus.  His is a life of 24/7/365.  So may be yours and mine.

Father, in Jesus' Name, "Send the old time power."  Amen.
**************************
Please remember the David's Tent Mission, September 18-22

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive