Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

If You Are "Sinking," Remember Peter On, Then In The Lake

"Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neckI sink in the miry depths, where there is no footholdI have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf meI am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched My eyes fail, looking for my God."  (Psalm 69, NIV)

You may be here today.  Very few on Planet Earth cannot identify with David's plight.

Jesus told Peter, "....When you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted...."  I know He was speaking of the manner of Peter's death, but there is a truth in general about life here.  "When you were younger," we pretty much did as we liked; there were few hindrances.  As the Ecclesiastes writer said, "I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure."  In short, we did what we wanted to do.  Time, however, revealed the consequences of those youthful, "I denied myself nothing my eyes desired...."  In His Blood, Jesus forgives, saves, us from the power and judgment of sin, but not the consequences of a life sowing, "I refused my heart no pleasure."  This fact is confusing to so many in Christendom.  The only "slate" wiped clean is the "sin slate," not the consequence "slate."

Sometimes the words of our text come to us when we are quite young, but for most they come when older.  Most of it comes when one reaches "old age."  We can no longer do the things which were so, "I denied myself nothing...."  Now, life itself denies them to us.  Many of us have not physically come to the cry of our text, but there are many who have emotionally come "there."

What does one do when one comes to a place of our text?  We do not allow our, "eyes [to] fail, looking for my God."  We keep our eyes, "Looking unto Jesus."  Though you say with David, "my throat is parched," you can continue to say the Name of Jesus, pray in the Name of Jesus, rejoice in Jesus, and continue to live in the attitude and practice of, "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."  And, "take hold," Jesus did, and does, and will continue to, "take hold," of you and me.  Praise Him.

Father, in Jesus' Name, Thank You so much that if, "my throat is parched," the well of water, Who is Jesus in me, quenches me.  Amen.
*********************
* Articles at:  jhs58.blogspot.com

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive