Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Thursday, June 25, 2015

"Eyewitnesses"

"For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty....We ourselves...were with Him on the sacred mountain." (2 Peter 1:16 & 18 NIV)

I'm writing this in a Starbucks while Sarah is shopping, then off to celebrate 51 years.  Blues music is playing, which I happen to like, that is, if they just didn't sing.  I like the basic "blues" format.  I have noticed that of the 20 or so people who have ordered here while I was setting up, not one coffee.  All have ordered those whatever fancy drinks.  Hence, here I am "Where Cross the Crowded Ways of Life," while I "soak" in His Presence.

Our text is a "favorite" of mine.  It is the old Apostle remembering that day on the mount when Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus discussing His coming finished work, "in His Cross."  What a day that must have been for him.  Many in my university and graduate school experience, however, thought that it was indeed, "cleverly devised stories."  Not Peter; not me.  Yes, what we read in the Bible is, "God-Breathed," but we also are reading the, "eyewitnesses," accounts of people.

You and I too have, "eyewitnesses," testimony.  No one can take that from us.  There is truth in the statement, "A man with an argument is no match for a man with an experience."  Peter is an example of this.  You and I are examples of this.  I was in that living room 45 years ago when Jesus "spoke" to me.  I was on that shooting range in the summer of 1966 when Jesus baptized me in the Holy Spirit.  I was in that Child Evangelism tent meeting beside that playground in 1953 when I made my first "public" commitment to Jesus (notice: living room, shooting range, playground).  Yes, I myself was, "with Him on the sacred mountain."  Still am-------- Yes, in Starbucks.   

Father, in Jesus' Name, thank You for those "moments," but thank You also for right now, right here in this coffee shop, You in me and I in You.  Amen.
*********************
$800.00 still needed for David's Tent

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive