Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

A Prayer Followed By A Chuckle

"....for a spirit of justice to him who sits in judgment, and for strength to those who turn back the battle at the gate."  (Isaiah 28:5, 6)

The context says, "In that day."  Yet I believe praying people in every "day" are, "those who turn back the battle at the gate."  Praying people, however, as with all, have weaknesses, lapses which may confuse some, but only those who have an inflated opinion of themselves.

Every day I pray for the requests on the Open Doors With Brother Andrew Site.  This morning there was a request which was like many others, but today a chuckle just came out of me.  My first reaction was embarrassment, an embarrassment that may have revealed something deeper in me.  Do I believe our Lord Jesus Christ for the impossible----- really? 

During the communist era in Eastern Europe I was praying one day for the Soviet Union, the Church, the government.  I had just read about Israel's crossing of the Red Sea, and Jesus spoke to my heart very clearly.  "You think you believe that I did this.  Do you believe I can deal with ICBMs?"  Maybe our Lord does not speak rhetorically, but I did sense that in the question.  It was a very searching question.

You may be engaged in some particular "battle."  We all are.  But let's overcome that "chuckle," that doubt, that "Can-He-really-do-this?"  Jesus is Himself, "for strength to those who turn back the battle at the gate." 

Father, in Jesus' Name, may there be no more chuckles.  Amen.

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive