Watchman

Watchman
Sentinel

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A Bible Prayer For A Very Troubled Soul

"Have mercy on me and be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am weak (faint and withered away); O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubledMy [inner] self [as well as my body] is also exceedingly disturbed and troubled....My eye grows dim because of grief; it grows old because of all my enemies."
(Psalm 6, Amplified Bible)

I have recently read two books about John Henry Holliday, aka, "Doc," most famous for his key role in the O. K. Corral incident, yet one of the most tragic figures in American History-------- a perfect embodiment of today's text. 

He was a concert-level pianist, fluent in Latin and Greek, had read many of the classics, including Homer and Shakespeare, was one of the best dentists,
the West, indeed, America of the 19th Century had ever seen, a dentist who was way ahead of his contemporaries in the latest dental techniques, and something which brings the admiration of the lovers of the "Old West," arguably the fast gun ever.  Wyatt Earp once said that Doc Holliday was the fastest, most fearless man with a pistol he had ever seen. 

Yet tragedy followed Holliday most of his life.  He was plagued with tuberculosis (consumption), the same disease which took his mother when John was only 15.  The "plague" literally consumed his life from his early twenties until his untimely death at age 36.  Weather one can say that his illness led him into a life of gambling, smoking, drinking, one cannot say.  There was no doubt that strong drink did help him with his chronic cough, and helped to ease the pain of lungs which were scarred and torn.  Holliday was so very talented, such a "Southern Gentleman," a very loyal friend, a man who was very sensitive to the needs of others, who helped the poor.  Yet instead of crying out to Jesus the prayer of Psalm 6, he turned to what so many humans do; he was a paradigm of "self help."  Many talented people are plagued with the same "disease."  Yes, he had many "vices," but here is a man with such "potential," such talent and desire to really help people, a trait which led him into dentistry in the first place, yet who shortened his life by a despairing hopeless approach.

Our text today is a perfect prayer which someone like Holliday could have prayed then, as well as one in similar pain and anguish of life today.  "My [inner] self [as well as my body] is also exceedingly disturbed and troubled....My eye grows dim because of grief...."  This was John Holliday.  This is so many people today.  This is also, however, a life which is a "prime candidate" for the "relief" of Jesus.  I know I am tending to write devotionals which are too long, but allow me to close with a familiar passage in the Amplified Bible,  "Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will give you rest.  [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]  Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me,..and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your soulsFor My yoke is wholesome (useful, good-- not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne." (Jesus)

Father, in Jesus' Name, please help all the "Docs" out there today.  Amen. 

When Peter, an 18 year old Norwegian, "heard the call to evangelize China, on that day he not only emptied his wallet into the collection plate, but included a small note with the words, 'and my life.'"

"Looking unto Jesus"
Hebrews 12:2

Blog Archive